Monday, May 14, 2007

Doing Obedience

I recently finished a reading a book called Mudhouse Sabbath by Lauren F. Winner. It is her thoughts on Christian spiritual discipline. You might be thinking, not another one of those books, but, Winner has a unique twist to her thoughts as she grew up as an Orthodox Jew.
I enjoyed the concise chapters that provided a glimpse into her past as an Orthodox Jew, and the relationship that this has with her new present life as a follower of Jesus.
What struck me the most, (which I think was her main point anyway) was the differences that each religion had. She takes the basis for this approach from Exodus 24:7, “Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it to the people. They responded, "We will do everything the LORD has said; we will obey."” It is the fact that the Israelites said that they would do and then obey, so doing brings obedience. It was the doing aspect of Judaism that separates itself from Christianity. It seemed that this is what she often missed about Judaism. The repetitiveness that comes from Judaism, and this held her to obedience.
I think about this lack of repetitive doing in my life. What is often missed in my life are the actions that I say I am going to do. I am very quick to say how I am going to live and how I am going help others, but it is so much more difficult than that. It is these cliché Christian things I say, but they do not get far past my mouth. I am quick to give ideas, but slow to act on them. Quick to say I will pray for you, but slower to act on them, if I even act on them at all. Where is the obedience?
How do I just to begin to live and experience Jesus in the now? To experience how he would have lived life, and stop talking about how I should or could do this or that. I need to just do. I need to just obey. I will leave it at that.

1 comment:

Justin and Dawn Beck said...

Matt! I saw your blog from Meredith's and thought I would say hello, Welcome to the rest of the blogging world where you get to share everything that God is teaching you and what is going on in life. I see you are in California and it looks like my husband and I may be headed out that way in the upcoming year(s) for seminary. Hope all is well.