Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Fixing the World (and me)

So, Why Tikkun Olam?

I was in Safed, Israel, and saw these words with a picture of the world on the shirt. I have been intrigued with these Hebrew words since I read them off a shirt seven years ago and was told what they meant. What I like about them is the simplicity of the Hebrew phrase (one of many). It is easy to say and gets the point across concisely. What does it mean? Tikkun Olam: “fixing or repairing the world”

When I read what Tikkun Olam means it is easy to think of all of the things that need fixing in the world, and especially in my life. It is easy to discuss the problems of the world, the wars, the famine, the poverty, the diseases, and any other major problems that usually have no immediate effect on my life. But if I need to start talking about fixing the problems my life, this can be more of a difficult topic to discuss. Wait. Me? Troubles? No. This is the part of me that likes to seal off the world. The thought that nothing is going to get me to talk; there is nothing to talk about. Wrong. I am a sinner. I am full of brokenness. There is nothing that I can do on my own to change that fact.

So, as I want to fix the world, and help others who need it, I first need to take care of my brokenness and need for fixing. Once this is done, then, and only then, will I be able to help contribute to repairing and resorting this world that I am a part of every day.

1 comment:

meredith said...

Seriously.

So freaking excited to stay posted on your world. Welcome to the blog world!